Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Who me?!

The other night I was driving home from my fiance's and I went a different way than usual. 

It was late at night and there were hardly ANY cars around. I turned right and made a really wide turn (mostly aiming for the middle lane but gradually coasted into the far left....WITHOUT signaling (*gasp!*). Obviously, I would've signaled had there been cars around. I stoped at the stoplight and looking in my rearview mirror saw a cop in the car right behind me. The light turned green and the cop turned on his lights.

"What?! Is he pulling ME over?!" I thought, shock, horror, terror, and panic pulsing through my veins, as I mentally review why I could be getting pulled over. "Maybe my light is out?....I definitely wasn't speeding....I didn't really signal when I turned....It was a last second decision but there were no cars so I didn't put anyone at risk...AHHHH!"

I pulled over, mortified (I have NEVER been pulled over by a cop before-- except that time when we were speeding, only didn't realize it on our road trip back from Arizona--well, I wasn't the driver though), and rolled down my window, driver license ready to hand over to the officer.

He approached my car, asked if I knew why he'd pulled me over (no idea! Actually, I was really tired and admit I sorta blanked out and drove on auto pilot for a second, but I didn't tell him that!). The officer explained that I had turned wide, to the far left lane. He asked if I'd been drinking, if that was my current address on my license and if I was just headed home. He didn't state he was giving me a warning or anything, just said to be careful and sent me on my way. Phew.

And that is my latest run-in with the law...

Lesson learned: Watch out for those bored cops downtown late at night.
 
(Actually, the thought crossed my mind that perhaps it was Divine intervention.  Who knows?  Maybe if I hadn't been pulled over---I mean, that was a really dumb reason---I would've been in a crash or something.  Whether it was or wasn't, I know Someone is always watching out for us.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live Traffic Feed